Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

He was on antibiotics for mycoplasma, and it seemed to work…

Customer Question
He was on antibiotics...

He was on antibiotics for mycoplasma, and it seemed to work but now he's sick again and his chest is making a loud clicking noise occasionally

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

A male rat 8 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the rat's name?

Theo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Theo?

He's quite skinny as well, I can feel all his bones

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Veterinary
7/30/2017
Veterinarian: Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Which antibiotic is he on? Did the course finish or is he still on it?

What tests did his vet do?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

I am not home at the moment so can't check his breathing and gums, will when home. But I took him to the vet around a month ago, they gave him antibiotics that started with M. He was on them for a week twice a day and took the full course, he got better for a bit but has worsened. The vet gave him fluids via injections, listened to his chest and weighed him (350 grams) His breathing is very laboured, and he is very lethargic. He is very clingy and waits at the cage then walks onto me, he doesn't want to leave my side and his fur very fluffed up. He eats very little and the little he does eat is only a crumb.

Hello again,

No worries, but when you can that would be ideal so I can assess how severe he may be just now. As well, if you can check the bottle or receipt for the antibiotic as neither of the 2 we'd use for Mycoplasma starts with an "M." Otherwise, in the meantime, we may need his vet to xray but we may need to have them change their antibiotic if they didn't use one that was specifically targeting Mycoplasma. Though in the meantime, to ease his breathing you can try steam treatment. To do so, you can take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear discharge from the airway. You can also use a baby nebulizer, but often they don’t like things held up to their faces. So, if you find that to be an issue, you can make a little ‘steam tent’ with him in his cage, the nebulizer next to that, and a bed sheet over both. As well, if his appetite is poor try him with veggie babyfood as Theo may find that easier to eat despite his compromised breathing.

Speak to you again once you have checked those,

Dr. B.

Thank you for the advice. The antibiotics was deprim suspension (don't know where I got the M from) his gums are pink, his breathing rate is 96 per minute. I normally put him in the bathroom while I shower to help ease hos breathing a bit,

You are very welcome, my dear.

If he is on Deprim, that is Sulfamethoxazole. Its not great for Mycoplasma, so if he isn't improving (and that breathing rate is a bit elevated since they can be up to 85bpm, though thankfully the gum color tells us he is getting adequate oxygen), speak to his vet about using Enrofloxacin (Baytril) or Doxycycliine as those are more targeted for this type of bacteria. As he has just been seen for this, they should be fine to dispense antibiotics without having him come back in again.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian