Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a 2 and half month old donkey foal whose mother has…

Customer Question
I have a 2...

I have a 2 and half month old donkey foal whose mother has parasites and is extremely thin. I have to give the mare Panecur for five days and then she'll repeat blood tests. She wants me to wean the baby now, which I don[t want to do. I'm changing the mare's feed to Triple Crown Growth for foals and mothers with 16 percent protein. She was also getting too much Nutrena Balancer. So I want to know if it's okay to not wean the baby for six months if the mother puts on weight. Will the Panecur hurt the baby?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the donkey can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the donkey's name?

Angie is the mother, who is only 5. She was always thin as she was a rescue and we didn't know she was in foal. The baby is Bowie and Mick Jagger is the step-dad. He's been gelded and is 20. (My late great TBG was Ziggy Stardust.)

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the donkey?

No, she checks them every few weeks. She is adamant I have to consider the mare first but separating them, as I did for 5 hours today, makes mother and son very upset. I don't think she nurses him that often and not for long. I'm starting to give him a milk substitute grain.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Veterinary
7/29/2017
Veterinarian: Dr. Derek, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Derek
Dr. Derek, Veterinarian
Hello I'm Dr. Derek, a mixed animal veterinarian. I hope to be of assistance today.Knowing the situation only as described, I cautiously offer my opinion. Having raised mules and donkeys for my entire life, I find them to be a very hearty creature when compared to other equidae. I would caution you in excessively supplementing the mother's protein, as you want to avoid creating an Atkins diet effect. Supplementing fats and long chain carbohydrates will help to add weight more quickly. In practice, I typically recommend the addition of corn oil to increase fat consumption. The amount is dependent upon the weight of the animal.Like yourself, I am skeptical about fully weaning the foal at such an early age. If the mother responds positively to your attempts to increase her weight, I would recommend against weaning the foal at this time. If she continues to deteriorate, weaning may be required. Panacur is a great anthelmentic and is safe for use in both pregnant and lactating females.I would be happy to answer any other questions or address any concerns that you have. Your satisfaction is my goal. I do ask that you please remember to rate my response when you have a chance, as the website does not compensate me otherwise. Rating will not close our conversation and I will still be available to assist you. Thank you, ***** ***** wishes.
The mother is getting Triple Crown Growth for moms and weanlings. I can add Boost. She doesn't like the corn oil.
Would you like a phone call? I'm receiving notification that you are requesting one but sometimes that is generated automatically.
I will be available an hour or so longer this evening and would be glad to help. Adding boost is an acceptable alternative to corn oil. I would also recommend having a thorough dental exam performed if you haven't already to make sure there are no dental abnormalities contributing to her inability to put on weight. I would be happy to answer any other questions you have. Please let me know.
Dr. Derek
Dr. Derek
Dr. Derek, Veterinarian