Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

She is laying on her side, cool to the touch with her eyes

Customer Question

She is laying on her side, cool to the touch with her eyes open and mouth open. I see shallow breathing
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Hamster
JA: OK. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the hamster. What is the hamster's name and age?
Customer: Cutie and 3 month old girl.
JA: What is the hamster's name?
Customer: Curie Cutie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the hamster?
Customer: Lethargic....hasn't eaten today or come out of house
Category: Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sending a picture
Expert:  Anna replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping small animals. I'm sorry to hear that Cutie is not well.

I just looked at the picture, and I feel terrible to give you bad news, but I believe you deserve honesty. It looks like she is near death. If she is still breathing now, there are two things you can try. She is probably hypoglycemic and dehydrated. Smear a little honey, maple syrup, or pancake syrup in her mouth. Use a syringe to give her a couple drops of water. If you have Pedialyte, that would be better yet. Put the syringe in the side of her mouth, not straight down her throat. Try this and let me know if she responds in any way.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Unfortunately, by the time you responded she had died.