Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

I have a parrotlet that's wings constantly bleed when she

I have a parrotlet that's...
I have a parrotlet that's wings constantly bleed when she tries to fly. To me it appears that her wings are abnormal. I have given her antibiotics and there has been no change and daily I clean her wings with a animal wound care spray and med honey gel to stop the bleeding and help it heal. It's both sides of her wings. I don't know what to do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?
Customer: That's the only problem. However, i do think she may have some birth defect because her back tail feathers have never grown in.
7/19/2017
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Hill. It sounds like your parrotlet has broken blood feathers. When new feathers are growing in they have blood that extends down the shaft. So if the shaft of the feather gets damaged during development it will continue to bleed. Blood feathers that are broken need to be removed by your local veterinarian. If your parrotlet is older, there is also the possibility of small growths on the wings that are bleeding.

As for other abnormalities with feathers, many are associated with nutritional deficiencies. Birds need a healthy vegan diet. The best food to feed is pelleted with fresh fruits and veggies. Harrisons is the best pellet on the market. Ideally, she should be evaluated by a veterinarian who does avian medicine. If you do not have a local veterinarian, then please post your location and I will help locate someone in your area. Please ask any follow up questions. Take care.

She is not quite a year old, but has always had problems with her feathers. It just seems to be getting worse. I do see the blood feathers and they are broken. She does have one small growth on one wing. I would really appreciate if you could recommend a veterinarian for me. The couple of vets I have been too, did not know much about birds. I do have 8 other parrotlets that are very healthy and eat a well rounded diet, including vegetables and fruit daily. I also include Avivita plus daily to their vegetables. All of my other birds are healthy, active, and have beautiful feathers. Thanks so much for your advise!!
I forgot to mention...I live in Colorado Springs, CO - thanks!!

I found one in your town.

Marty Kuhn

Professional Information

Roller Coaster Veterinary Clinic
16755 Roller Coaster Rd
Colorado Springs
Colorado
80921 United States
[ Map ]719(###) ###-####(Phone)(###) ###-####(Fax)

I will look for a few that are in neighboring towns.

This is the link to the avian veterinarian website for colorado. There are 21 veterinarians who see birds in colorado. Not sure how far away from you they are.

http://www.aav.org/search/newsearch.asp

Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian