Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

She just ate about a teaspoon of wet, A 10 month

She just ate about a teaspoon of wet
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A 10 month husky/shepard mix at 44 lbs. She ate about a teaspoon of Drydex Spackling compound about 15 min ago.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know if the husky will be able to digest that. What is the husky's name?
Customer: Acie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Acie?
Customer: I googled this website first and have already given her 2 tbs of hydrogen peroxide on 2 pieces of bread:(

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now I have checked the safety data for this and it appears the main concern is that it can irritate the mouth, throat and stomach. And as inflammation of the throat can be risky, this isn't something we usually induce vomiting with. Therefore, we'd not give any more of that but the bread is fine. Otherwise, you can take steps to offset any GI upset. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Canned pumpkin +/- OTC cat hairball treatment can be added to these to just help her pass any of this that makes it into her intestines. Further to this, if we see any nausea, we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall this product tends to cause GI upset and irritation when ingested. Therefore, we'd not try to induce vomiting any more but can use the above now. Of course, if Acie were to have belly discomfort, profuse vomiting, paling gums, or could not keep water down; then we'd want her to see her vet for symptomatic care and gastroprotectants to keep her stomach safe from this.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you!

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Excellent support in a very timely manner!

Thank you for your kind words, they are much appreciated. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.