Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog's anal gland just ruptured, about 3 hrs ago. I

my dog's anal gland just ruptured, about 3 hrs ago. I cleaned him up, only by trimming and wiping and noticed a slight red "cut" and squeezed, producing the anal gland rupture debris. I can't get him to a vet... what can I do.. just clean him up and put Neosporin on it?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: no, not at all... and the debris comes out only when I press.. both glands seem hard...
JA: Phew. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rusty and I believe 11 this month... was a rescue from a bad kennel when he was 2
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Rusty
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rusty?
Customer: he's a Cavalier and has a heart murmur, so I don't want to put him under like we did our young Cavie to clean up her absess.... hers didn't break thru and they did surgery...

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now if the gland has ruptured, then there is no indication for anaesthesia/sedation. We just need to make sure you express as much material out of the gland as possible. Afterwards, flush it thoroughly (and repeat 2-3 times daily until healed) with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream to try to reduce an infection risk (which can lead to recurring abscesses/ruptures without oral antibiotics) As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put an e-collar on him for the short term. Of course, any lingering pus or recurrence and we'd need the local vet to dispense antibiotics for Rusty to get this completely cleared.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**