Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.
75966804

I have a bird my cat attacked. it's a mourning dove i am

i have a bird my cat attacked. it's a mourning dove i am bringing it to a bird rescue facility tomorrow morning and for now it is in the bathroom w/ the heat on, in a box covered by a screen in bedding with water and the food i feed them in the yard. is there anything i can do to help it survive until i bring it tomorrow?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: um, it's a wild bird, it's a mourning dove
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your bird?
Customer: huh?

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

It sounds like you have done a great job. The only thing I might add is to put a light sheet over the box to decrease as much visual stimulation as possible to the bird. Unless you have the air conditioner really cranked up, I also do not see the need to keep the bathroom heater on. A quiet, dark environment will keep the bird calm until you can transfer her tomorrow. Try to not peek in on the bird too much, again to keep it calm. There is really not much else to do. You have already helped the dove tremendously, & even if it passes on during the night, at least you gave it a chance.

Thank you for caring.

Take care.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Linda