Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
97381174

After a recent -distance move, my 2 parakeets were given

After a recent long-distance move, my 2 parakeets were given alkaline water to drink (and in their steamed veggies), and have had very loose, extremely watery droppings. Liquid probiotics haven't helped very much.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the bird?
Customer: Very loose, watery droppings.
JA: Where does the bird seem to hurt?
Customer: Not sure he is hurting. His behavior seems ok.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Louie. About 1 1/2 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Louie?
Customer: His droppings were normal before the move and the switch in water. He's now drinking bottled spring water. I'm avoiding feeding both birds (Georgie is the other one) their vegetables, and they miss them.

Hello. My name is***** and I am an avian veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand that Louie has had watery feces since after a long-distance move. Alkaline water and liquid probiotics have not been helpful so far. Is that a correct summary?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Alkaline water may have contributed to the issue. Probiotics have been tried to help correct it. Sorry for the delay; I didn't realize that my credit card company issued a fraud alert on this charge, so that had to be fixed. Can I order any online remedy or antibiotic that might help the situation further? Louie seems healthy and happy other than his droppings, and I prefer not to go to a vet unless I have to.

It is also possible that what likely contributed to the watery feces is the sudden stress of the move. I recommend in order to help with this situation is to add apple cider vinegar. "Bragg" is a good brand. I like the idea you had of giving probiotics and yogurt with probiotics is often used for intestinal health. Finally, a natural way to help support the body from stress-induced intestinal inflammation is to change the environment. Increase the ambient temperature to 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit and the humidity to about 85%. That will help to restore the body's immune function. A complete recovery is expected within 3-5 days. If this continues longer than that then a fecal exam should be performed to rule out parasites or stomach yeast.

I hope that answers your question. I am happy to answer more questions if you have any. If you are satisfied, I would appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I cannot change the temperature in the room where the birds are; I live in someone else's home. How much apple cider should I add to the two current water holders, each of which holds 2.5 oz. of water (with 1/8 tsp. of liquid probiotics)? The move was on April 25th. They do not have any grit in the cage, only cuttlebones, millet, and healthy seeds. Can I safely resume giving them steamed carrots, corn, and peas?

Yes, you can give the carrots, corn, and peas, which should not exacerbate the current issue. The ratio of apple cider vinegar to water is 4:100. Therefore, 4 mL of vinegar to 100 mL of water. That is approximately 1 tablespoon per 1/3 cup of water.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Today, the birds have one (2 1/2 oz.) water container with probiotics added, and one with apple cider vinegar added. I'm not sure they'll drink the new one, but will give it a go. Should I stop the probiotics (it's been @ 2 wks.) and have vinegar in both? Iffff this doesn't work (I'll give it until Fri.), can I take in a paper towel with droppings, or am I doomed to have to drag both birds to the vet? (I'm unemployed now, so money matters...)
You should continue giving the probiotics as they will not hurt our recovery process and can only help. It will depend on the veterinary clinic (call first to ask), but you may very well be allowed to drop off a fecal sample to run for analysis without having to bring them in. You will want to ask them how they would like you to bring in a sample and if a paper towel will work. They may prefer an actual swab from the cloaca.