Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling,
Experience:  Veterinary Surgeon at Tameside Veterinary Clinic
97222438

Dear, Trust you find this email well. As a breif

Dear,Trust you find this email well.
As a breif introduction of myself, my name is ***** ***** live in Seoul, Korea
Recently, I contemplate to invest in the Korea-based company which produces special kits(‘Kit’) detecting cancers in dogs by simply extracting a small quantity of blood and dropping the blood on the Kit.
According to the relevant explanation, kits which can dianose the existence of cancer on the spot with low cost and high acuracy have not been available, which makes company’s Kit a ‘first and new’ product in the canine dianosis market.
For that matter, i would like to seek counsel from experts in big market on whether such kits never been in the market indeed. I would much appreciate your input on below questions.
1. Are similiar diagnosis kits(or tools*) available in US?
* kits or tools that verify the existence of cancers on the spot(or within the reasonably short period of time)
2. If not, is the lack of such device in the market due to the difficulty in engineering such kits or due to the availability of alternative detection methods?
3. If the questions above are not int the scope of your expertise, please advise us on the appropriate institutions, associations, or contact points to reach.Kind Regards,
Sungkyoo

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Such kits are not currently available and would certainly be a breakthrough! The difficulty in producing these kits is fundamental to the fact that blood tests are not effective at diagnosing cancers, by far the most common method is biopsy of suspected cancerous tissue. If you have more specific questions I would be happy to help.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi Richard,Thank you for your reply. I have a couple of follow-up questions as below:1. You mentioned that the blood test is not effective at diagnosing dog cancers. If the concerned kit repensents 85% sensitivity as well as at least 80% specificity regardless of the type of cancers, do you think it is effective enough to convince owners of dogs and veterinarians? please note that the kit can tell the existence of cancer with high accuraty but not able to identify the exact type of the cancers.
2. In Korea, biopsy is most common method as well which nomally costs owners at least $ 600 to figure out whether there are cancers inside their pets. The kit aims to be distributed at a price of $70. Could you give me rough estimation of cost inccured when onwers go through biopsy in US? Also, are such costs covered by the dog insurance policies?Thank you for your supportKinds regards,
Sunkgyoo

Hi Sunkgyoo.

In reply to point 1: I would have concerns diagnosing neoplasia on the basis of a test with only 85% sensitivity and 80% specificity. In these cases we can be making significant decisions based on these results. A common "snap test" kit we use in the UK for FeLV/FIV viruses in cats has sensitivity of 98.6% and specificity of 98.2% and we still often confirm results if we are making significant decisions based on these results. The test you describe may be useful as a screening test, however a positive result would still need to be confirmed with a biopsy. So in answer to your question, I do not think that test alone is effective enough to convince vets and owners of the results it provides. If the test does not identify the type of neoplasia, then I also think it will be of limited use. We often have suspicions of neoplasia from our clinical exam, then its a case of trying to find out where the problem is. The potential use of your proposed test would more likely be if a mass were identified, and getting an idea of whether the mass is neoplastic. However in these situations, the diagnostics are much more straightforward. The situation where a test such as yours would be a game changer would be for animals with vague clinical signs, that we suspect may involve neoplasia, but without a readily identifiable source. In the situations where we are on a "tumour hunt" a test such as your would be revolutionary, but it would need to identify the the type of tumour, or at least what organ system it is associated with.

Point 2: I am in the UK rather than the US, but costs here are relatively in line with the US after currency conversion. In my practice a surgical biopsy would be in the region of £3-400/$4-500 for a readily accessible tumour. These costs are usually covered by pet insurance policies, yes.