Rebecca, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have more than 30 years of veterinary practice experience.
11877925

Laryngeal paralysis severe of late, now also limited hind

Laryngeal paralysis severe of late, now also limited hind leg ability diminished jumping.... is she suffering? 13 yr old. Do we need to put her to sleep?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the hind. What is the hind's name?
Customer: Ali has been a wonderful part of our family
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ali?
Customer: No, labored breathing and now hind legs function diminishing

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear about your dog. She may be suffering, if she can't walk and can't breathe easily. However, there could be help of her.

The prescription medication Doxepin helps about 75% of dogs with laryngeal paralysis breathe better.

Anti inflammatory medication and/or pain medication might help her be able to use her back legs better.

Is she eating and drinking? Usually when dogs are suffering, they slow down or stop eating. I would look into treating her with some prescriptions from your veterinarian before considering putting her to sleep; she may still have some good times left.

Please let me know if this is helpful and what else I can answer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you.
Didn't know about Doxepin.
Will ask our vet:)

Yes, I learned about Doxepin a couple of years ago and it really helps most dogs! Thanks for the great rating.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?