Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

My dog ate a black sharpie. It looks like he mostly ingested

Hi, my dog ate a...
Hi, my dog ate a black sharpie. It looks like he mostly ingested the entire felt tip & pulled it out .. so most of the felt ink part , and some of the plastic but not very much of that part. I can send a pic if you need? My dog is 31 lbs , and he ate this about an hour ago.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Teddy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Teddy?
Customer: Yes
JA: What else should I tell the Veterinarian?
Customer: He used to eat everything in site and we've taken him to the vets many times . He's ingested much worse and ended up fine but the vet took care of him and kept him overnight . Other times whatever he ate would just eventually pass through . He's also vomited a lot when he ingests something he shouldn't
7/9/2017
Dr. Derek
Dr. Derek, Veterinarian
Hello I'm Dr. Derek, I hope to be of assistance tonight. Luckily for Teddy, the ink used in Sharpie permanent markers is nontoxic and should cause nothing more than an upset stomach. The felt tip poses slightly more concern. By all means, it should pass uneventfully. If the felt tip were to swell large enough or become oriented in a manner such as to cause a mechanical obstruction would be the only concerns. Monitor him over the next few days for projectile vomiting, diarrhea, retching, gagging or straining to defecate. If any of these signs persist, seek immediate medical attention.I would be happy to answer any other questions or address any concerns that you have. Your satisfaction is my goal. I do ask that you please remember to rate my response once you are satisfied as the website does not compensate me otherwise. Rating will not close the conversation and I will still be able to answer your questions if you have any. Thank you and best wishes for you and Teddy.
Dr. Derek
Dr. Derek, Veterinarian
Thank you doctor for your response. That makes me feel much better . I will keep an eye on Teddy and bring him in asap if needed.
I'm happy to be of assistance. Thank you very much for the rating and bonus, I greatly appreciate it. If there's any more I can help with please let me know.
Dr. Derek
Dr. Derek
Dr. Derek, Veterinarian