Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.
75966804

Our pet rooster has swelling under his eye. About 10 days

our pet rooster has swelling under his eye. About 10 days ago we took him to the vets and at that time his eye was more swollen and his comb was slightly swollen too. He has a temperature. We have isolated him, with antibiotics and anti inflammatories he is now eating& drinking and temp is normal but he start cant hold his head up for long (only to crow) and I guess this is due to the swelling under one of his eyes.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name?
Customer: Julius
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Julius?
Customer: Apart from He just has swelling under one eye. He opens the eye ocassionally
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
My typing was poor in the last details. To confirm: 10 days ago our rooster had a temperature and both under his eye and his comb were swollen. He has had anti-inflammatories and antibiotics for last 10 days. His temperature is now normal and he is eating and drinking. But under his eye is still swollen and he cant hold his head up for long other than to crow.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns about your rooster, Julius.

From your discription, it sounds as if Julius has picked up a Mycoplasm infection. This is a respiratory infection that can be contracted through the conjunctiva of the eye, hence the swelling. Usually, I will lance the swelling just under the eye, flush throughly with an antibiotic solution, & continue the bird on antibiotics. Since the swelling is still present after 10 days, I would recommend revisiting with your veterinarian to lance or relance the swelling, & submit a sample for culture & sensitivity. This would identify the organism, or confirm it to be Mycoplasma, & also see if a different antibiotic would be appropriate.

Definitely continue to isolate him, & hopefully with additional diagnostics, & another go-round of antibiotics, Julius will be on the mend.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Linda