Hilary Humm-Beatty
Hilary Humm-Beatty, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Locum Veterinarian at Self
28121390

She was bit by a raccon last night. She was actually nearly

She was bit by a raccon last night. She was actually nearly killed it bit her in her face. She is still alive and safely secured in the coop but I'm fearful of her life and if she could get rabies from the racoon that we think may have rabies
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: I am unsure of her age. I guess a little over two years old. And her name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gabrielle?
Customer: NO. She lives outside in a coop and is a free range hen that lives with 1 rooster
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
She was bit in the face & it appears she is blind from the damage to her eyes but she still can walk around but is not very active as she usually is. Is there anything I can do to assist her in being more comfortable? Or heal?

Good afternoon. I am Dr. Beatty and am happy to hlep you with Gabrielle this afternoon. I understand she was attacked by a racoon last night and you are worried about rabies infection. Here is a link about rabies in animals from the CDC. Racoons are a very common carrier of rabies. However, rabies is a disease of mammals. Birds are not infected by rabies so this should not be a concern for Gabrielle. However, if she was bitten badly she should be seen by your veterinarian today to be checked out and treated as needed with cleaning, antibiotics, etc.

It sounds like she was injured very badly by the racoon. I am so sorry. There is little that can be done at home in this case she should definitely be seen by a veterinarian. It sounds like she will need some careful veterinary care to assess her eyes and prevent infection and possible loss of the eyes, vision and death. Here is the link on Rabies that I forgot to attach to the first response.

https://www.cdc.gov/rabiesandkids/animals.html

Thank you for your positive feedback. Good luck with Gabrielle and please let us know how she is doing. Take care! Dr. Beatty