Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

Mu 9 month bassett ate a combo of six chicken thighs and

Customer Question
drumsticks, cooked with bones. What...
Mu 9 month bassett ate a combo of six chicken thighs and drumsticks, cooked with bones. What should I do.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the chicken will be able to digest that. What is the chicken's name?
Customer: It's a dog, not a chicken. The dogs name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Callie?
Customer: It was in a glass dish that she broke
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Veterinary
6/26/2017
Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that your pup Callie may have eaten some glass shards along with chicken bones.

While I understand that getting the glass and bones out would be nice I do not recommend inducing vomiting in cases where dogs may have eaten sharp objects like glass and bones. The chances of tearing their esophagus or stomach as it contracts to force the glass and bones out is much too high.

In this case we need to try and hope that we can get these glass and bone shards to pass through her gastrointestinal tract.

To help I recommend starting with feeding her a Vaseline (or any generic, nonscented petroleum jelly) sandwich. Take a slice of whole wheat bread, slather with vaseline as you would peanut butter on a slice of bread, cover with a second slice. Feed it to her bite sized piece by piece or she will make a huge vaseline mess. This adds fiber and hopefully makes the pieces slip rather than catch.

For the next few days, until the shards pass, she'll need to be fed a bland diet with lots of fiber added in small meals several times a day, 4 to 6 meals is ideal. We do this so the pieces are surrounded, the gut isn't irritated anymore and isn't contracting on just sharp glass and bone shards.

You can either use prescription Hills i/d diet as a base or a homemade diet. You can make a homemade diet mix with 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats drained of the meat, and 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Add 2-4 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber whether you are feeding the i/d diet or homemade version.

You'll need to check her stools frequently for pieces in the next few days.

Signs that things aren't going well, and she needs an immediate veterinary visit, are vomiting, a tense painful belly, lack of an appetite, a fever (more than 103.5F rectally), frank blood or black tarry stools, and lethargy.

I would break up her stools for the next few days to look for glass and bone pieces. If you aren't seeing fragments in the next day or two a veterinary visit and an abdominal radiograph to see where the shards are is an option. Most glass and small bone pieces will show up on radiographs, though not all. If in doubt at all that things aren't going well it is always best to have her checked.

Once the pieces are passed and she's feeling well then start mixing in her regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get her converted back to regular food. They should pass within the next 3-5 days.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian