Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
97381174

My bird has bad allergies. Sinus infection, nose running.

My bird has bad allergies.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your bird?
Customer: Sinus infection, nose running .
JA: There are all sorts of infestations your bird can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Has bumps under eyes. Assume it's the sinus
JA: How old is Assume?
Customer: Less than one year.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Assume?
Customer: No sneezing or coughing or heavy breathing

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand that your bird has a runny nose and bumps under the eyes, but no sneezing or coughing or problems with breathing. Is that a correct summary?

Also, you may receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically offered by the website, but you do not have to accept it. I can not stop the offer from being made, but I am able to answer your question with the chat box only if you prefer it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I also tried to send photo at add files.
This condition has been getting worse.
Need to know how to treat.
Also how to prevent it from coming back.
Have no other birds with this. I have @ 75 chickens

if there is swelling below the eyes then you are likely correct of a sinus infection. That would be the first rule out. A swab and culture of the contents of the sinus would be ideal, and then an appropriate antibiotic can be given, which should help prevent it from coming back. If there are airway irritants such as what can happen with poor ventilation then that should be addressed as well.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Had given Tylan at first.
But not much of response.

Tylan is an antibiotic that targets gram positive bacteria organisms primarily, but has limited activity against gram negative bacteria. For example, Tylan would not be a very good choice to treat Pseudomonas, which can be an upper respiratory infection. Baytril or another antibiotic would be a better choice in that circumstance.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I will administer Baytril
Thanks