Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

I'm jhovany and I have a ginea pig and his names coshi and

Customer Question
Hi I'm jhovany and I...
Hi I'm jhovany and I have a ginea pig and his names coshi and for almost a 3 months now hes been poopinh blood and when he peed as well he squeaks really loud in pain and after that he's been losing so much weight he's about a pound. And I don't know what to do he isn't eating either
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about coshi?
Customer: No that's it
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Veterinary
6/17/2017
Veterinarian: Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How long has he been off food?

How much blood are you seeing ?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Has he been on any treatments for this? Have any tests been done?

It's fine and yes I still need your help he eats but not that much he takes a couple of bites in his food and then leaves it there. And when you goes number 2 he poops just blood and rarely anything else. His gums are okay they're pink. But when I push on his stomach his Tommy just growls.and no we hasn't had any treatments for this or any vaccinations.

Hello again,

Now we do need to tread with care here for Coshi.

While the chronic blood in his stools (it rings alarm bells of hemorrhagic bacterial or viral infection, gut tumors, protozoa, parasites) and pain when urinating (which could be from infection as well but also non-related bladder crystals/stones/tumors) are serious worries for him; if his appetite is declining that is a sign that this is taking a toll on his body and that he may develop a fatal gut stasis. So, with that in mind and his pain reaction when you palpate his belly (something that has to be very sore before this species would react); we have a serious situation.

Therefore, I have to say that if he was my patient I'd want him seen urgently. The local vet can palpate +/- ultrasound him to check for the above. If infection is found, then antibiotics can be started to clear them. At the same time cavy safe pain relief can be given to soothe his pain here. And if he has become dehydrated then fluids can be given.

Any delay and we need to at least treat for the appetite loss/stasis concerns. To do so, we'd ideally want to tempt him to eat; else force fed a highly nutritious food (Oxbow’s Critical Care or Supreme). Any delay getting that from your vet or pet store and we can use a mixture of canned pumpkin, veggie baby food mixed with crushed pellets to feed.

As well, we'd want to keep him hydrated. This will help prevent dehydration but also dilute his urine to reduce the pain. To do so, you can flavor water with low sugar fruit juice. Or you can try pedialyte or diluted Gatorade (50% diluted with water). These will help replenish electrolytes and get some glucose into his system as well as get fluids in. You can also give pedialyte via dropper or syringe. A typical dose for animals is 4.8mls per 100 grams of body weight per day (obviously divided over all day drinking). As well, the fluid that you give in the syringe feeds will help meet this daily total as well.

Overall, I am quite concerned about all of Coshi's signs. He sounds like he has a chronic GI issue but that it may have spread to the bladder and now is precipitating appetite loss and a looming GI stasis. Therefore, we'd need to be proactive now for him. Use the above to head of stasis but we'd need his vet to check him and scan his belly to see which issue is causing the blood loss before it can push him over the edge and cause him to pass away.

If you don’t already have an exotics vet, you can find one near you at http://aemv.org/index.php/members/vet-locator, http://www.guinealynx.info/vetlist.html or @ http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Thank you

You are very welcome, Jhovany.

Best wishes for Coshi,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian