Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I believe he has an Allergy,,, i think to chicken... he

I believe he has an Allergy,,, i think to chicken... he licks his feet and
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the chicken's name and age?
Customer: No Sir.... I am sorry ,,, my message did not clarify... He is a Bichon and a darling... but he licks his feet.... which I think is an allergy... Our vet has given his allergy pills and a shot ... it still has not helped... I was wondering if this new Pfizer CADI (cytopoint) could help him.... thank you....
JA: How old is Sir?
Customer: 9 years old...
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sir?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** guys call him Boozer....

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now if Babycakes only has a chicken allergy, it would be advisable to feed a diet free of that protein. That way we remove any allergenic stress it may cause the body and tends to be less costly in the long run. That said, if you suspect something else may be to blame (or he has more than one allergy), then Cytopoint would be a possible option to try for him. We have seen good response to this drug, though of course its success varies by individual (and we can see GI upset for sensitive stomached dogs). And for those, Atopica or Apoquel could also be considered. So, in regards ***** ***** question, if he is only sensitive to chicken it would be ideal to just remove that from his diet (though be aware that it can take up to 6 weeks for the allergen to leave the skin cells). But if you aren't sure or suspect he is a dog with more than one allergy, then Cytopoint could be trialed by his vet for him and hopefully we will find it well tolerated and effective for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**