Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

She has had a runny eye for along time and now crusty nose,

Customer Question
She has had a runny...
She has had a runny eye for along time and now crusty nose
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Rabbit
JA: OK. How old is Rabbit?
Customer: 5-6 yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rabbit?
Customer: She tilts her head sometimes to side of the runny eye
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/16/2017
Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Ok

I'm sorry to hear about your bunny's long term runny eye and now crusty nose.

This is probably related to a bacterial infection called pasteurella (snuffles). It can cause upper respiratory, and eye infections too as well as abscesses under the skin and in the respiratory tract in some rabbits. Pasteurella is very contagious and once it is introduced into a rabbitry it is almost impossible to get rid of. An infected bunny can sneeze and pass it on via droplets in the air to other rabbits in the colony, or does can pass it to their kits. Inapparent carriers will look normal but carry the bacteria. Sometimes these bunnies never get sick or only get sick when stressed or they get old or they are stressed by something and and their immune system weakens. Sometimes we see chronic infections (like your bunny's eye) that eventually affect other parts of the respiratory system. I suspect that the bacteria has now migrated into her nose an possibly her inner ear.

If you are interested here is a link to an article which will give you more information about pasteurella or "snuffles" in rabbits: http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/past.shtml

Unfortunately once a bunny has the bacteria it is almost impossible to get rid of it. We can send it into hiding sometimes with antibiotic therapy but it almost always comes back.

Over the counter medications like Polysporin just don't work very well. Tobramycin, Ciprofloxacin, and Enrofloxacin eye drops are the most effective eye drops against this bacteria. Sometimes we also need to prescribe oral antibiotics too if we see more than one area affected. In rare cases we need to use injectable antibiotics.

Ideally we don't prescribe oral or systemic antibiotics to bunnies, unless we absolutely have to, because their gastrointestinal system depends upon the right mix of bacteria to work correctly. Systemic antibiotics can kill "good" gut bacteria leading to serious complications. In short we need to be very careful treating bunnies. If systemic antibiotics are necessary we can give probiotics to attempt to keep gut bacteria balanced.

Your bunny needs to see a veterinarian that is experienced with rabbits. In the meantime you can flush her eyes with sterile saline and use artificial tears to keep her eyes more comfortable. Use warm compresses to remove crusts from around her eye and nose and keep them clean. It may help to apply a very little, light coat of petroleum jelly to protect her nose and decrease the debris from collecting.

Best of luck with your fellow. Let me know if you have further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your bunny. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian