Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
97381174

I have a love bird with a sore on it's upper back, between

I have a love bird with a sore on it's upper back, between the wings. He had it about two years ago, had ointment the vet gave us, took several months for it to fully heal. It has started up again, so was looking to see if an antibiotic ointment would be appropriate.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name?
Customer: Indigo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Indigo?
Customer: no. appetite and attitude are great.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
we also gave her benedryl daily, as vet thought maybe an allergy was promoting her to pick, don't remember the dose.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
to clarify -appetite is good, as is mood/attitude.

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand that Indigo has a sore on the back that responded well to ointment, but it came back again. Are you aware of how this sore keeps coming back - is Indigo picking at the skin or feathers possibly?

Also, you may receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically offered by the website, but you do not have to accept it. I can not stop the offer from being made, but I am able to answer your question with the chat box only if you prefer it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Haven't noticed excessive picking, but there are feathers missing, and an open sore in the middle, so he must be picking at it. No cause that we can determine. With original sore we did mite treatment but no change, then they did a scraping to identify anything and came up with it most likely being fungal (if remembering right) - they didn't expect feathers to come back, but they did and for a year was ok, now he has the sore again. No changes in location, food, etc.

Possible causes for skin lesions would include feather picking, mites, fungal organisms, or autoimmune disease (uncommon in birds and in this location). Based on the history, I would be concerned about feather picking. However, a fungal culture may be a good idea to rule out organisms. It would be appropriate to apply a skin ointment to the area. Do you need a Benadryl dose as well?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
to dosage please.

The dose is 0.2 mg. This would mean liquid Benadryl (i.e. 12.5 mg / 5 mL) can be given as 0.1 milliliter every 12 hours.

If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars. I will be standing by if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do u recommend a specific ointment?

Regarding over-the-counter ointments, I would recommend Neosporin every 12 hours. It is safe if a small amount happens to get swallowed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you so much!!! Hopefully this will prevent a trip to the vet, which is always a bit stressful for Indigo.

You are very welcome. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars. I will be standing by if you have any other questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry