Dr. Derek
Dr. Derek, Veterinarian
Experience:  Mixed animal veterinarian for nine years
88281037

I have a drop calf loosing hair on his stomach and the

I have a drop calf loosing hair on his stomach and the inside of his back legs. No scours.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No I haven't I will check right now
JA: What is the calf's name and age?
Customer: Bugger and he was born may 16th
JA: What is the calf's name?
Customer: He is with a nother calf a beef calf that the mom rejected and she keeps trying to nurse off him and that was what I thought was causing the hair loss but I don't think so anymore.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the calf?
Customer: His name is bugger
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I got him from a dairy and was trying to get him to nurse off the Mom because she had so much milk that the one calf couldn't get milk due to how swollen her teats were. Once I finally got her milked out enough for them to nurse she didn't want anything to do with either calf.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Both calves got almost 2 weeks of milk from the mom before she was done with me milking her and I switched to the powdered milk form.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They are eating grass and some calf starter grain. The beef calf is doing great but this little guy is struggling.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He has a temp of 104.6 and I just pulled a tick off his back leg.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He is still eating but he's not as spunky as the other calf.
Hello I'm Dr. Derek, a mixed animal veterinarian. I hope to be of assistance tonight. Give me a moment to review your request and I will reply back as soon as I have composed a response.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK perfect thanks.
It sounds like, unfortunately, you have multiple problems going on. I feel like the hair loss is the least concerning right now. A temperature of 104.6 is not terribly high, but in a calf can be a gateway to some bigger problem. Does he ever cough, sneeze, show any nasal discharge? Is he eating as vigorously as he has previously?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No nasal discharge no coughing but he's not eating as vigorously as normal.
Hair loss in calves can have many causes. Urine scald or fecal scald is the most common. Fecal scald does not always have to come from scours and can sometimes be related to the environment. Wet bedding, even wet pasture can cause enough irritation to promote hair loss. Other causes such as bacterial or fungal infections may cause similar lesions. I recommend that he be examined thoroughly for respiratory disease or other causes that may be related to the fever. In the meantime, do you have any antibiotics or anti-inflammatories?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They are in my yard right now so no issue with wet bedding. Yes I have banamine.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Should I sepperate him from the other calf?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I also have a pour on cydectin is he old enough for that?
He's not yet old enough for the cydectin. I usually don't deworm until 8 weeks of age. Give him 1mL of banamine per 100 lbs of body weight. I would suggest separating the calves from one another to avoid any possible spread of the dermatologic condition, if possible, and whatever issue may be causing the fever.
If the issue is parasitic, there are dips or other topical agents that your veterinarian may be able to prescribe. Does he seem itchy?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No he doesn't seem to be itchy either. So bizarre! I will sepperate them and have a vet out tomorrow to take a look at him. Thanks so much for your help I really appreciate it!!
No problem, I wish you the best of luck. If it's possible, I would love a follow up once the vet is out, just a response to this same message would be fine. I would like to know what is found. I also would ask that you please rate my response, it is the only way I am compensated for my services. If you have any other questions, I would be happy to answer them. Thank you so much.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Absolutely!! Thanks again!!
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Dr Derek! I just wanted to let you know that the calf is doing better and starting to regrow the hair. Still not totally positive what caused it but we think that he had a higher fever for several days and because he never stopped eating I never took his temp. I have given him shots of nuflor every 48 hrs for 4 treatment's along with the banamine and he seems to have bounced back. Thanks again for your help. ��
I appreciate the update very much. I'm glad to hear he is doing better!