Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling,
Experience:  Veterinary Surgeon at Tameside Veterinary Clinic
97222438

My elderly guinea pig had surgery for a breast tumour

My elderly guinea pig had surgery for a breast tumour earlier this year. I did not want the test results, but have noticed he is suddenly boney and wants water all the time.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the guinea pig's name and age?
Customer: Pepsi. Unknown age.
JA: How old is Pepsi?
Customer: Don't know he was rescued.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pepsi?
Customer: He is pretty fragile all of the sudden.

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hoepfully I can help with Pepsi today.

How is Pepsi`s appetite? Any signs of diarrhea?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No.

How is Pepsi`s appetite?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Appears to be thirsty.

Is Pepsi eating?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It seems he is a bit slower than the two girls.

Weight loss in guinea pigs can have several causes. By far the most common cause is a lack of appetite due to dental disease/overgrown teeth. It would be wise to keep an eye on teh amount of food Pepsi is eating to assess his appetite.

Older guinea pigs can suffer from kidney problems which can affect their thirst and lead to weight loss. Have you noticed his bedding being wetter than usual? This may indicate that he is urinating more which could tie in with kidney issues.

The tumour removal is an unknown as we do not know if it was malignant or not. Many tumours tend to spread to the chest and can affect breathing, have you noticed any laboured breathing or a cough? Any sign of further lumps/growths?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Should I separate him.

Separating him would enable you to monitor how much he is eating and drinking and you would then be able to get a better idea if his bed is wetter than usual and you will be able to see his faecal output. If he has had significant weight loss recently, a check up from your vet would be a good starting point. Your vet will be able to check for any further masses, have a feel of his abdomen to make sure there are no other problems starting there. Your vet will also be able to check Pepsi`s teeth. Blood work can be done for guinea pigs to assess organ function if indicated too.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've had two faulty water bottles that have flooded the floor, so I may separate him. He is also sharing his igloo with the fattest female guinea pig.

I think that would be the best way forward so you can monitor exactly what he is doing. I would recommend getting him checked over by your vet too.

I hope you have found this advice useful and please don`t hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.
If you are happy with the advice offered please don`t forget to rate me as this is the only way the website has of providing me with feedback.
If you don`t click the stars, the website does not acknowledge me for the time I spend helping here!
Thankyou so much,

Hi Cathy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Richard Rawling