Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
97381174

I have a lovebird. She was scratching her pelvic area on a

I have a lovebird. She was scratching her pelvic area on a rough perch and now she is bleeding. Not alot just bloody feathers, I took the perch out just don't know what else to do. She is still active, eating and drinking.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?
Customer: She was given to me about a month ago and has seemed fine until yesterday

Hello. My name is***** and I am an avian veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand that your lovebird injured herself on a perch today. Is she actively bleeding or does it appear to have stopped?

Also, you may receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically offered by the website. I am unable to stop this offer from being made, but you do not have to accept it. I am able to answer your question with the chat box only.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi ***** *****,
I don't think it was from an injury. I noticed her scratching herself like she had an itch yesterday on the perch . Now today she has bloody feathers. This is on her right side of her pelvic area. She is still active, eating and drinking. Not active bleeding just looks raw, bloody and she keeps picking at it.

I understand. This sounds like it could be near her vent. Does that sound correct to you? From this area, we would need to concern ourselves with infection or pain in the reproductive or intestinal tract or from the skin itself. A broken feather (i.e. from the picking) could also cause the apparent bleeding. An examination of the skin vs. vent would be the first step. If the skin is damaged then basic cleaning +/- antibiotic ointment can be applied. If the bleeding is from the vent then we would need to take the next steps to improve her condition.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is from the vent area what needs to be done

Because bleeding from the vent can be caused by more serious (i.e. egg binding) or less serious (i.e. infection) reasons, it would be best to have her taken in to a veterinarian to perform x-rays. Egg binding can be dangerous if left untreated, so I would recommend to go that route. They will also be able to give appropriate pain medications and antibiotics if necessary.

If that answers your question, I would appreciate very much a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. I will be standing by if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do u know of a vet in the Franklin TN area

Give me a few minutes and I will see what I can find for you.

There are no searchable avian veterinarians in Franklin, but I did find 2 in Nashville. Dr. Michael Lutz at West Meade Veterinary Clinic (P:(###) ###-#### should be your first choice. Possibly VCA Murphy Road (P:(###) ###-####.

VCA did not specifically advertise themselves as seeing birds, but they did come up on some avian veterinarian searches. You may want to call them to confirm first.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what can I do in the mean to help

There are a few things you can do to help that should have an immediate benefit. The first is to increase the ambient temperature to 85-90 degrees. The second thing is to increase the humidity to about 85%. Lastly, I recommend to lower all the perches for the time being. This will increase comfort and relaxation. Unfortunately, further care will likely require medication.

It was a pleasure to assist you today. Please let me know if you have other questions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK thanks just trying to figure out what it was and what to do

You are welcome. I think this gives you a good direction. Egg binding is a serious condition, so since this is on the table of possibilities, I think it is best to get her examined to rule it out. If it is an infection or something else then they will be able to give you the appropriate treatment for that. Best of luck. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PerryDVM