Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
97381174

My canary won't stand on his right foot or leg too. He keeps

My canary won't stand on his right foot or leg too long. He keeps holding it up. He is eating and drinking but sits on his perch with his feathers fluffed
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I don't see a wound. It is not swollen. It is the leg with the band on it from the pet store. It doesn't seem to be swollen or too tight. He does have a lot of scaling on his feet
JA: What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: His name is***** and he is approx 4 or 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bird?
Customer: He normally sings up a storm but hasn't been singing much the past few days. He is not molting any feathers.
Hello. My name is***** and I am an avian veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand that Bird Bird has been keeping one of the legs up and there is also scaling on his feet. Can you please tell me what does his regular daily diet consist?
You may receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically offered by the website, but you do not have to accept it. I will be able to answer your question within this chat box if you prefer it.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I give him Wild Harvest Canary Advance Nutrition Diet daily which includes seed, fruits & vegetables with vitamins A & E. I also give him fresh fruit either apple or grapes. Once or twice a week I try to give him fresh greens usually fresh spinach. I also give him hard boiled egg once in awhile and I grind up the shell for him.
The primary causes of scaly lakes, especially in canaries, consist of malnutrition and leg mites. We will want to consider changing this food at some point to a formulated pellet, but in the meantime, I would recommend to supplement further with vitamin A. It will also help to increase the ambient temperature to 85-90 degrees and the humidity to 80-85%. Keeping the perches low is also a good idea. Finally, leg mites are treated with Ivermectin, which can be purchased through your regular veterinarian. That will resolve the most common causes. We can reassess afterwards.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I read on the internet that I can home treat him with vaseline and campho phenique or neosporin for the mites. Where do I get formulated pellets? At the pet store?
Formulate pellets can be found at some pet stores, but most chain stores will just carry seed mixtures, which are typically deficient in nutrients. Harrison's and LaFaber are two high quality brands. You can also order them online. It is not easy to switch a bird from a seed to a pellet, so I would not make this your first priority. I would recommend to treat the leg issue first before tackling the diet, which can take many weeks to change over successfully. Regarding treatment for mites, you need a medication specifically for killing mites. For instance, Neosporin treats bacteria and yeast and Vaseline will just keep the skin moistened, which both can be helpful, but I am afraid will not treat the mite issue.
Formulated*
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What about scalex mite spray?
Scalex is used for feather mites and lice. The reason it does not work for leg mites is because these mites ingest blood and need to be treated with something that gets into the blood stream - like Ivermectin. The topical remedies do not touch th mite, unfortunately, because the mite lives too deep in the skin for the topical treatment to work.
If you are satisfied with the answers provided, I would appreciate very much a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. I will be standing by if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay I will take him to the avian vet and get him the Ivermectin treatment.Thank you!