Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a question about schooling, not my animals per say.

Hi I have a question about schooling, not my animals per say. I'm in college getting my prerequisites done. I want to become a Veterinarian Tech. I was wondering which program would be looked at as more "hire-able", an online program or a program through a physical college?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I understand that you are wondering if an online program or a typical on site college veterinary technician program is more respected and more likely to lead to employment.

By far employers are going to prefer an onsite program. While the background knowledge gained in both program's classes may be similar nothing can replace hands on practice, feedback and the interaction you gain with your professors, classmates and laboratory practicals with a traditional on campus program.

Veterinary technicians all need basic background knowledge, but so much is gained with hands on practice and work. It is an irreplaceable part of your training. Without those hands on learning opportunities you are starting at a disadvantage and would need much more training on the job. As such you will be at a disadvantage in the hiring process.

Best of luck to you in your studies.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you Dr. Kara! This was definitely the reassurance I needed. I personally don't understand how that even works to take those types of classes online and become certified, without stepping into any sort of lab or animal hospital. Anyway, thank you for all your help. I am one class away from entering the Vet Tech program. :)
Thanks,
Lydia

You are very welcome. Best of luck to you, it sounds like you are on your way!