Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

His right eye is closed, Mallard duck, Bill and I don't know

His right eye is closed
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Mallard duck
JA: OK. What is the Mallard's name and age?
Customer: Bill and I don't know his age he was a gift
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Mallard?
Customer: His wife was killed and he's sad. Trying to find a new wife
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do I need to be worried?

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Yes, there's reason for concern because such an eye can indicate trauma, an infectious conjunctivitis, or a respiratory infection that has spread from his infraorbital sinus into his eye. Practically speaking, administering an over the counter ophthalmic antibiotic ointment such as Terramycin found in many pet/feed stores or online such as here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9674 thrice daily to the eye is reasonable. The ointment should protect an injured eye from secondary infection and contains two antibiotics of value for the types of infections found in the eyes of ducks.

Sneezing, nasal discharge, and an increased respiratory rate would indicate that more systemic respiratory infection exists and which should be treated with a systemic antibiotic. Please let me know if you're seeing those symptoms.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No symptoms that I've noticed. He has a large pond to himself.

That's good to hear. There's a good chance that the Terramycin ointment will suffice dosed at a "dab" of the ointment directly on top of the globe of his eye thrice daily for a minimum of 10 days. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Does thrice mean twice?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will do what you recommend! Thank you!

Thrice = three times daily

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Got it thanks!!!

It's my pleasure. I'll watch for your update.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Hi Bernadette,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?