Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Kingsland Blvd Animal Clinic
94981754

I have a friend who has a pet monkey. She was bitten last

I have a friend who has a pet monkey. She was bitten last night and has some blisters around the bite area today. It is a marmoset I know they do not carry Monkey B what other concerns should she have
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is B bleeding a lot?
Customer: It dd break the skin but no real bleeding the pet is only 13oz
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about B?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She is concerned for her pet and its safety she wants to ensure that it is not put down over something trivial.

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

How long has she had the Monkey and does she have a veterinarian she uses? Has she alerted her doctor that this has occurred?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No she has not alerted anyone other than me. The animal is 1 yr old and is from a US Breeder. It has all shots and is up to date on everthing

She needs to alert her veterinarian so they figure out the protocol. This should not result in the monkey having to be euthanized although the monkey may need to be quarantined for a few days. She also needs to go to a human doctor and start antibiotics ASAP as even small wounds from these guys can turn septic and quickly.

Rabies is a concern, though the risk is likely small. Tuberculosis is a concern, but again small most likely. Bacterial infections resulting from the bite are a more serious concern, but that in no way negates the risk of rabies and the necessary quarantine.

I Hope this helps

Good luck.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She is afraid someone will want to put it down to test for rabies even though it has all shots and has lived insde with no contact with any other animals

Since it is vaccinated that should not be the case.

She will need to get the monkeys vaccine records so she has them readily available, but more importantly she has got to go see a human doctor and get on antibiotics.

I understand this is her pet, but we need to make sure she is ok too. From what I am reading as long as the monkey has current vaccines I think they only quarantine for around 10 days or so.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks Doc

You are most welcome good luck!

If you have a moment please rate my answer so the site will credit me with helping you.

Make sure she goes to a doctor soon. I have seen small bite wounds from monkeys turn extremely bad in a short period of time and I certainly do not want her going through that.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Meghan Denney