Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

Our dog suddenly stopped eating and became lethargic. I took

Our dog suddenly stopped eating...
Our dog suddenly stopped eating and became lethargic. I took him to our vet, she did blood work and x-rays.. Everything appears normal, but he is still not moving. He did eat some steak this morning and drank some water, when I made him get up. Is there anything else you recommend we check?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Mr. Grumbles, and he is 3.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mr.?
Customer: I was online today and read that some dogs have had reactions to the Seresto flea and tick collars. His has been on a couple of weeks...could he suddenly get a reaction to that? Also, he wore one last year, with no problems.
Mr. Grumbles is epileptic...he only had one seizure 2 years ago, but it lasted an hour. He has been on medication 2 x a day since.
4/21/2017
Ana Bascunan

Hello, my name is***** and I'm happy to help answer your question about Mr. Grumbles- I'm so sorry to hear that he isn't feeling well. Thank you for sharing his history of epilepsy. A few questions for you - what is his breed? When you say he isn't moving, does he seem hesitant to walk as though he is weak or in pain? And what medication is he on for seizures?

He is on phenobarbital for seizures. We believe he is a labradoodle. He won't get up unless I make him get up. Yesterday we thought maybe he just sprained his leg because he was limping a little on his back leg, but I'm not really noticing him limping today.

That doesn't sound good - I'm glad you took him in for blood work and x-rays. While its great that those tests were normal, it doesn't help us get to the bottom of what's going on. Based on your description I am concerned for some sort of neurologic disease. Neurologic disease can be central (affecting the brain or spinal cord), or peripheral (affecting the nerves or muscles themselves). I'm not sure if you have changed his dose of phenobarb at all recently, as that can definitely cause lethargy (it seems like your vet would have addressed this, though). The other thing that concerns me is that his previous seizure lasted an entire hour. This is very atypical - usually seizures last less than 5 minutes (although it can feel like hours to the family watching it). If his seizure was truly prolonged like that, and now he is possibly experiencing additional neurologic signs, my best recommendation would be to take him to see a veterinary neurologist. Do you know of any neurologists in your area? If not I'm happy to help find one, if you provide your general location.

I do not know of any, please let me know if you can recommend one. And yes, his seizure did last that long. We took him to the emergency Vet, which was 50 minutes away and he was still convulsing when we got there. They didn't think he would make it through the night, we were very lucky and thankful he did.
Thank you!

Of course! I'm happy to help. What is your city and state so that I can assist you in finding a neurologist?

Elizabeth, IN 47117. We are just across the river from Louisville Kentucky so if you have one in Louisville that would be fine. Thank you
if you take him to a neurologist and there is something wrong more than likely it's going to be something major, right?
If we take him

There is a clinic called Metropolitan Veterinary Specialists in Louisville that has a Neurologist on staff. (website below)

http://metrovetlouisville.com

When you call, they may state that there are no appointments with Neurology for several weeks. Most specialty centers accept patients on transfer from their associated emergency clinic, so you may need to take Mr. Grumbles in through emergency in order to see the neurologist sooner (ask them if this is an option!).

To answer your second question, it depends - most cases where neurologic disease is suspected the workup can be expensive. However there are certain diseases where the testing is simple or the treatment easy. One example is tick paralysis, in which dogs become progressively weakened all the way to paralysis due to a toxin released by a tick. If the tick is found and removed, they get better. So not always an expensive fix but definitely worth the consultation with the specialist.

Please let me know if I can help in any other way! I wish you both the best.

You could also consider taking him to Purdue, although it looks like this would be about a***** :)

Thank you!

Of course. Good luck with everything!

Ana Bascunan
Ana Bascunan
Ana Bascunan
Ana Bascunan