Ana Bascunan
Ana Bascunan,
Experience:  Small Animal Surgery Resident at University of Florida
94543743

Please she is a 12, almost 13 year old standard poodle that

please she is a 12, almost 13 year old standard poodle that is not eating anything since breakfast yesterday
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the standard poodle's name?
Customer: Star
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Star?
Customer: No Not really She is very grumpy

Hello, my name is***** and I'm happy to help answer your question. I'm so sorry to hear that Star isn't feeling well - a couple of important questions to rule out a life threatening emergency - has Star been vomiting or attempting to vomit at all? And do you think her belly seems enlarged or bloated?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She has not been vomiting or even trying her belly seems about the right size

Ok good. Give me just a minute while I prepare some information.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She is on m-eloxyn for her arthritis but this has not been going in as she will not take it

Broadly speaking, a dog that is not eating may not feel well due to disease within or directly affecting the gastrointestinal tract, or as a side effect of disease elsewhere in the body. For example, Star could have eaten something that is upsetting her stomach and making her not feel well, or Star could have something like advanced kidney disease that is making her nauseous. These are just two examples of many things that could be going on, but my point is that it can be challenging since dogs can't just tell us what hurts or what's wrong.

Given that she's on m-eloxyn (I assume this is a brand name of meloxicam), this makes me concerned for gastrointestinal ulceration. Just like if a human takes too much Aleve or Advil, we can get stomach ulcers, dogs can be very sensitive to this type of drug (meloxicam is an NSAID, or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug).

Because her anorexia has lasted more than 24 hours, my best recommendation is that she be evaluated by her primary care veterinarian. They will examine her, assess hydration levels, abdominal comfort, heart rate and respirations, among other things. After her exam they will make recommendations for diagnostics such as blood work (to check liver and kidney function as well as to screen for systemic infection), and imaging (such as x-rays or ultrasound to evaluate her internal organs).

Does Star have a primary care veterinarian that she can go see today?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
she does

Ok, well I know it can be stressful but I think it's warranted in her case, given her age and the duration of her not wanting to eat. Do you have any further questions I can help answer?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No thank you

Ok great. I wish you and Star the best!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Ana Bascunan