How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Category: Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 20920
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376
Type Your Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Sugar glider had his back foot stuck in his hammock since

This answer was rated:

Sugar glider had his back foot stuck in his hammock since last night and just found him tonight. Had to cut the hammock off of his foot but it looks like he either bit most of his foot off or it fell off from no blood circulation. There is no blood on him or much of a wound. Do I need to rush him to an emergency vet or just watch him for a few days? He is in good spirits and running/jumping around with our other gliders.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Attaching photos

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to touch base with you about poor Squishy.

While I am glad to see that this isn't profusely bleeding, we do need to have him seen urgently. This won't have closed properly in either situation thus there is risk of internal tissues being exposed to the outside (the photo is a bit too blurry when enlarged to appreciate if we have bone exposed there) +/- bacterial contamination (which can get into the blood stream). Therefore, we would want to have him seen even if he says he is otherwise well (an all too common bluff of prey species until situations are advanced) for assessment. He will at least need antibiotic and SG safe pain relief but we may need to have this surgically amputated to ensure we get a closed stump that is free from risk of infection.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Dr. B. and 2 other Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you