Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

She started getting sores on her face in December and very

quickly they were infected. We...
She started getting sores on her face in December and very quickly they were infected. We had no idea what was going on. We took her to the vet and they had to shave and take the skin off the right side of her face it was terrible but we did get everything healed up and the hair grew back and she looks great. Now it is come back a couple weeks ago it started with a couple sores on top of her head and on the other side of her face a sore. We called a mobile vet and it looked like it was healing pretty good. I had to go out of town and she got your face and when I got home it was bleeding after that it started spreading so we took her to the vet that we had taken her to the first time. She shaves her face in the top of her head and put her on
Cephalexin and rimadyl and then I started giving her some Benadryl at night.
Saturday her I started swelling. So I didn't give her Benadryl last night not knowing if that was what was causing her eye to swell. But this morning her eye is swollen even more. And reading up on the rimadyl it seems like some of the side effects that it can give a dog she is having. We are stressed and at a loss and no one seems to have a good answer.
3/26/2017
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Veterinarian

Good evening I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

Can you send me a picture of Sasha's face so I can see what we are dealing with?

Have you considered doing a biopsy and sending it off to a pathologist to check for autoimmune conditions ?

I have never seen rimadyl cause facial swelling before.... may be a crazy drug reaction, but I have never seen that before.

Once I see a few pictures of what we are dealing with I can guide you a little further. Benadryl is an antihistamine and as such would not cause swelling of any kind. The pathways of that drug being metabolized makes it almost impossible to Cause a reaction that involves swelling. So we can rule out the benadryl.

We are currently not home and will not be home until after 7 o'clock mountain standard time I can take a picture then and send it. We have been told they think they are hot spots but the fact that they are spreading and then some of the skin on the face gets really hard and dies and then has to take it off, others have said they have had hot spots on their dog but have not seen this. We talked about blood work for allergies regarding food. In 11 weeks we are $1,500 and and I am becoming quite stressed. But now no one has offered or suggest as a biopsy. We have had her for almost 4 years period She is 4 years and 4 months old. December 30th 2016, 11 weeks ago is the first time this has happened.

I am so sorry you guys are going through this. It just sounds like possibly autoimmune from the way it waxing and waning that is why I suggested a skin biopsy. Be the fastest way to an answer. Send me pictures when you can. Where are you located ? What breed is Sasha?

My husband is trying to hold her still we are not trying to be mean to her but she doesn't like us touching or being on that side even though we clean it a couple times a day. If you look you can see that her eye is very swollen on top. It's approximately 60% swollen. The areas that are red and swollen including her eye are hard like bumps.
P.S. the first time this happened but not as bad it was December 30th of 2016 11 weeks ago. On her head and Face and we put medicine on it and antibiotics and she healed. This time when it came back on March 9th, it started small and we thought we had it taken care of until the 17th when it got worse but it was still on the her head and the left side of her face this time, in this much smaller area. On December 10th I had a mobile vet, and she didn't do much she shaved the area and gave us some medicine to put on it. She told us she thought it was a food allergy due to the buildup of fillers in the food. We have had her on Science Diet for adult dogs. In December when this happened I changed her food to Science Diet for sensitive skin and digestion. The mobile vet March 10th told me that there are still fillers in the Science Diet and she's probably having a food reaction and suggested Call of the Wild which I've been transferring her over to. But her face looks worse than ever! The vet told us on the 23rd that it could be a food allergy causing hot spots or skin irritation. We we are at our wits end and we have spent a lot of money already. When this happened in December there was no spreading or swelling like there is now.

Is she ever outside that almost looks like sun sensitivity, but you said mountains so I am not sure where you are located? oh poor baby that looks awful. Restart the benadryl tonight.

It does look like it could be auto immune. Maybe a pemphigus complex. http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2202

I would really strongly consider a skin biopsy and a skin culture and sensitivity to make sure we have her on the correct antibiotics.

We are in Colorado. She is an Central Asian Shepherd. She has that double stick fur. The only part of her skin that shows where the sun would hit it directly would be her tummy and the very end of her nose. We have had her inside Formosa last 3 or 4 days trying to keep her out of the elements. But it is only getting worse. She is 4 years old and 4 months. This last December 30th Is the first time we've ever had anything like this.

I would also consider getting her to a veterinary dermatologist. I have a long list of auto immune conditions in my head and I do want to overload you or miss one if I start listing them off.

So game plan for you guys

1. Get a skin biopsy from multiple places affected and a culture and sensitivity swab

2. Get a dermatologist appointment asap

I would start steroids and antibiotics to see if we can get her some relief while we are waiting on skin biopsy results.

I am also going to look into some breed related conditions see I can find anything.

Have you guys done a thyroid panel on her? Skin scrape to rule out mange?

I have to get offline now I will check in tomorrow.

We currently have her on cephalexin. There has not been any skin testing or biopsies of any type.

So I think we have a starting point. Once we get the skin scrape done if it comes back negative for mites then we can get the culture and sensitivity (make sure cephalexin is the right antibiotic to be using ). She also needs to have her thyroid levels checked as low thyroid conditions can cause some really strange skin diseases and then if that is normal get a skin biopsy on the schedule.

Does this help?

If it does I would be very much appreciative if you can take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you.

I am also more than happy to keep this chat window open so you can ask me additional questions.

I am taking her back to the vet today. I called a Veterinarian Specialist Center but there is no availability until April 11th.
You are the second one to mention skin mites so I will have them test for those today. And go from there. Thank you for your feedback.

Good luck glad I could help. let me know if you have other questions and I would love to know the results of the skin scrape and testing.

Thank you. Me too!

She looks like such a sweetheart.

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Veterinarian
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Veterinarian