Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My 19 year old indoor cat got out for a few days and has…

Customer Question
My 19 year old...

My 19 year old indoor cat got out for a few days and has been leaving little black pepper spots on sheets. Was told it was fleas even though he was never scratching. I treated him this morning with i Capststar pill for cats under 12 pounds and Vectra spot treatment. He is not throwing up or doing anything other than hiding in a dark closet and hanging near his litter box. He did come out for dinner and then it took me 20 minutes to find in curled up in a closet. I treated him about 8a.m. No other unusual symptoms but seems lethargic and spacey. IS it safe to watch and wait or not?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

He has been home over 2 weeks but I thought it was just dirt from being outside. He's in pretty good shape, even tried to get outside again, appetite is good but just standing still by box twice today is unusual and now after eating a little it is not like him to hide.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2017
Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that your fellow managed to pick up fleas on his out door adventure.

The black, pepper-like things you are seeing are flea droppings or feces, basically digested blood. If a kitty isn't allergic to flea bites they won't scratch, even if they are covered with fleas.

You will need to treat him for at least 3 months to cover any flea eggs that were laid in the two weeks he was home before he was treated.

He is probably both stressed by being pilled and having a topical flea medication applied. Many cats are stressed about the way the product feels as it moves across their skin and into the oil glands. This may make him hide.

Vectra is a combination of two chemicals, one that works on an insect's nervous system and the other interferes with normal egg and larvae development. Some especially sensitive or older cats may become more sedate after its use. This normally resolves with time. As long as he continues to eat and drink and is able to walk around normally if prompted I would be comfortable with a watch and see approach.

Capstar is a potent adulticide that quickly kills the adult fleas on the kitty. It only lasts for about 24 hours and is quickly metabolized out of the body. It is possible that the fleas abnormal movements as they die is also stressing him.

Or that the combination of two medications and his body's need to clear them is taking its toll on an older fellow.

I think at this point I would confine him to a room with his food water and litter box and keep a close eye on him.

If he stops eating and drinking, remains very lethargic after a couple days, or seems off balance then an exam by his veterinarian is necessary.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.