Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

Both dog and cat: 8 yr old Dane whimpered when pooping two

days ago. still tentative pooping...
both dog and cat: 8 yr old Dane whimpered when pooping two days ago. still tentative pooping. now vomited or peed in house. 3 yr old cat howled outside yesterday morning; came in was fine. yesterday afternoon he was lifting his tail like bathroom, but not in box and no emission. will not let me touch tail. THANK YOU!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Mess cleaned when I got out of shower, thanks. He has been eating normally. Few weeks new dental cleaning dog treats introduced, which he likes though I have since thrown away. Maybe he eats out of litter box? Has also been eating grass lately.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: He is a rescue from abuse. I have had him since 07-2014. All good otherwise, though may be a bit over weight now.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Beans :)
Unable to download phone app. Please reply here.
Rec'd email. Thank you!
3/21/2017
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

Alright just to clarify we are discussing your 2 animals.

1. Beans your Dog (Great Dane 8 yr old): seems in pain when defecating and is urinating and vomiting in the house and is also eating grass lately

-Ok a few questions about Beans ( adorable name by the way!) Has he had any recent blood work to check liver, kidney and pancreas function ? Sometimes inflammations in one or more of these organs can cause symptoms you are describing. I would recommend a veterinary visit to assess organ function because that may be why he is vomiting and eating grass.

- Is his stool hard or normal ? If it is hard like he is becoming constipated I would suggest adding in canned pumpkin for a Great Dane that would mean 2-3 table spoons of canned pumpkin twice a day.

If he is in pain because of the posture he needs to get into to defecate? And if that is that is the case we are also probably dealing with some joint arthritis (8 years old for a large breed dog is actually quite old and it would be very Likely that he has some degree of arthritis in his hips and back).

I would recommend a veterinary appointment to assess his joint health and I would also recommend getting him on joint supplements (glucosamine) prescriptive strength from your veterinarian not over the counter.

Your veterinarian will discuss with you if he needs to be on some actual medications for joint pain.

Most commonly prescribed medications are : gabapentin, Rimadyl, Galliprant, Tramadol ( does not need to be all of them your vet will pick the ones they are most comfortable using.

Now onto your cat: 3 yr old indoor/ outdoor and is possibly straining to urinate outside the box. This is classic signs of a UTI of feline lower urinary tract disease in a young male cat. This can be caused by crystals in the urine +/- bacteria in the urine and urethral spasm causing pain and for the cat to posture wherever he is regardless of if he is in the box or not.

I would recommend a veterinary visit to get this checked. It has been linked to stress so you may also consider a Feliway diffuser which is calming feline pheromones and may help resolve the issue.

I know that is a ton of information so please ask questions or add in comments if you need to.

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Veterinarian
Beans has no pain other than whimpers when poops. Vet check not recent, yet UTD on shots. His dog food has joint health in it.He plays well and moves without pain easily. I can touch belly without bother to him. Stool is normal seeming. This can all of a sudden! Suppose will feed him bland diet tonight. If no resolve then to Vet.
Frank, the cat, is not straining to urinate. He has his tail raised, which looks like it would if he were to be using his box. He is raising his tail oddly and seems to have discomfort there. He is also a rescue as a kitten. He was found with broken tail at the tip. I bottle fed him and he has been fine. Frank is neutered, so not spraying or with a girlfriend.
Any cues for cat behavior?

Normally dogs do not show joint pain they way we would think. Normally how I find arthritis on my exam is from palpation of joints and range of motion in my patients. I also look for muscle atrophy in the hind end, reduced mobility (meaning they are less active than they used to be according to my owner).

Cues for cat behavior? I am not sure what you mean? If he is twitching his tail while upright that can indicate play arousal ( not sexual). It can also mean that he is experiencing some spasm in his urethra in his penis.

Are we talking about Frank's tail or howling?

Both with Frank...but he is a bit crazy always. The tail concerned me so will go to Vet if continues. Thank you! Beans runs around like a puppy playing so I would be shocked if in pain. The whimper happened out-of-the-blue on a.m. poop Sun.. Does not seem like body pain, but booty pain. Thanks.

You are welcome good luck!

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Veterinarian