Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My dog is congested moderately. I have been giving her a…

Customer Question
My dog is congested...

My dog is congested moderately. I have been giving her a benadril twice a day,

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

My dog is congested and coughs when ever she wakes

Veterinarian's Assistant: Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

Lola, 9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about lola?

I have had xrays taken of her throast and lungs. She eats well, seems happy, but this coughing is like the is something she needs to expell

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Veterinary
3/21/2017
Veterinarian: Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

Any nasal discharge? What color ? Is it from one or both nostrils?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

What treatments has her vet tried?

What dose of Benadryl are you giving and what is Lola's weight?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Since January this year, no nasal discharge, pink gums. The vet said to try one am and one pm regular Benadriil. Lola weights 20 lbs.

Thank you,

Now if Lola has chronic nasal discharge affecting both side of her nose (since if it was one sided we'd be worried about a growth up her nose), then we do have a few concerns. Given that her vet did xray and hopefully we can rule out masses, pneumonia, bronchitis, and severe asthma. Though allergic or inflammatory airway issues could certainly cause these signs. Though I would note that if she hasn't improved on the Benadryl, you can use it every 8 hours and a 20lb dog can have a maximum dose of 40mgs. So, you could try adjusting that. Though otherwise it'd be worth speaking to her vet about a trial on anti-inflammatories +/- bronchodilators if the congestion is in the lungs as well.

Otherwise, in the meantime, it can help to steam treat these case. This tends to moisten the airway while reducing congestion. To do so, you can take her in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. You can also use a baby nebulizer/humidifier with a wee mask over her nose to help her decongest. If she isn't keen on this, then you can make her a ‘steam tent’ with her in her dog crate, with the humidifier next to it, and a light bed sheet over both.

Cough-wise you can try giving a mild cough suppressant if that is excessive. Commonly we will give a few millilitres of plain honey & glycerin cough syrup or plain honey. These can be given as often as needed. Alternatively, you could use Robitussin DM at a dose of 1 milligram per pound of body weight every 8 hours. Of course, do make sure to only use this and avoid any with pet toxic cold medications (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen caffeine, alcohol, or pseudoephedrine) here.

As well, if Lola is building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, you can also use saline nasal drops (like Ocean Mist or Little Noses but not anything medicated) to clear her congestion. Tilt the head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Dogs don't love this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

Overall, her xrays thankfully rule out some issues; though we do need to be concerned with these long term signs. Therefore, I would suggest the above for her but also a trial on anti-inflammatories from her vet would be ideal. And hopefully that way we can reduce these signs for her and keep her comfortable.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )