Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My small dog died after a trip to a groomer, I want to know

My small dog died after a trip to a groomer , I want to know the results of a heart attack death . when he died there was a lot of fluid that came out of his mouth , some pink tinge and some foamy fluid out his nose . It this common with a heart attack ?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rip age & yrs. Maltese
JA: How old is Rip?
Customer: 7 yrs. !!!
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rip?
Customer: He seemed okay just nervous , when I left him at the groomer !!
JA: What else should I tell the Veterinarian?
Customer: nothing

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

I am very sorry to hear that Rip has passed away.

In regards ***** ***** question, to see a sudden death with this type of fluid from the mouth and nose suggests not just a heart attack alone. Instead, the fluid tells us that that Rip likely had an underlying heart disease that was causing fluid to accumulate in the lungs (which came up once he passed away). It is possible that the stress of the visit then triggered a sudden heart attack or possibly a clot to the brain (stroke) just as it can with people. So, I do suspect it was a heart attack like event but am quite suspicious that Rip had an underlying heart issue that he wasn't telling us about. Of course, if you want to definitively diagnose this, you could have your local vet, vet lab or vet school perform an autopsy to check his heart and lungs and give us closure for his loss.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.