Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

MY GERMAN SHEPHED IS 8 MONTHS OLD AND SHE'S LAYING AROUND

MY GERMAN SHEPHED IS 8 MONTHS OLD AND SHE'S LAYING AROUND SHE THREW UP LAST NITE NOW HER URINE IS REALLY YELLOW AND DIERRIIRA IS YELLOW TOO
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your German shepherd. What is the German shepherd's name?
Customer: QUILA SHE EAT EVERYTHING SHE CAN FIND I GAVE HER HONEY AND GINGER FOR HER VOITING NOW I'M MAKING HER RICE WITH CHICKEN I'M SCARED I'M ON A FIXIED INCOME AND I LOVE HER SO MUCH SHE WAS A CHRISTMAS GIFT FROM MY GRANDSON
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about I'M?
Customer: NO SHE BEEN REALLY GOOD TILL YESTERDAY EVEN WHEN SHE DRANK WATER LAST NITE SHE THREW IT UP NOW SHE'S JUST LAYING ON MY BED

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now we do need to tread with care if Quila has upper and lower GI signs as these can quickly take a toll on our young dogs. Now based on the signs we are seeing, we do have a few concerns. Common causes we need to consider include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items). And I would note that while her urine is likely brighter because of dehydration, if it is orange/yellow and staining; there is concern of liver damage and we'd need to have her seen urgently if that is the case.

Otherwise, as long as she can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Afterwards, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and will help with her stools. You can also add canned pumpkin to these meals to firm her stools. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

If her stools are very runny, you can also try her on a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)).Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing her upset GI.

Since dehydration is a risk here with her bright colored urine, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check that she isn't dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure she doesn’t have sunken eyes and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Finally, I wanted to note that if funds are a concern, there is help. First, if you have a VCA or Banfield veterinary hospital near you, then you might consider taking advantage of their free first consult offers. You can find vouchers for this via VCA: (http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer) & Banfield : (http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon). Otherwise, you could consider checking out the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html). They have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations that can keep down costs and surely will be willing to help.

Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger this GI upset we are seeing with Quilla. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: ))

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
THANK-YOU SO MUCH I MADE THE RICE AND CHICKEN SHE ATE A LITTLE BIT AND SHE'S SLEEP ON MY BED THANK-YOU THANK-YOU

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Best wishes,

Dr. B.