Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

My granddaughter has a guinea pig. It's back foot has be

Hi my granddaughter has...
Hi my granddaughter has a guinea pig. It's back foot has be home black on the bottom. It's smooth it does not look like humble foot. Also her toe nails together and they seem to be turning red ish like blood.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the guinea pig's name and age?
Customer: Winnie and she is I think about 8 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Winnie?
Customer: Nope just her foot issue. It just seems kinda limp
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

How long has she had these signs?

Any swelling or discomfort with the foot?

Does she groom it more?

What is she kept on (ie mesh, what bedding, etc)?

Does any of the discoloration wipe away from the nails or pad?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

I do have photos. I will get them on now

Lovely, I will keep an eye out for them. :)

Dr. B.

It started last week. Nothing wipes away. My granddaughter seems to think it's bothering g her. She is eating and drinking. She has a cage with some type of fluffy litter in it.

Thank you,

Now I am glad to see that there are no swellings, sores or distortion in Winnie's feet. In regards ***** ***** variation in color, this is just hyperpigmentation. Its a natural phenomena where the pigment cells (melanocytes) reaction to chronic irritation. Its difficult to say why one has reacted and not the other, but in this species its usually associated with dirty cages (where urine in the bedding acts irritates the skin). So, we may need to make an effort to clean her bedding more often. And while it usually doesn't change back (it can fade with time), it doesnt' tend to cause any health issues. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** nails, we could have a similar reaction here but we can also see discoloration with yeast infections. That said, as long as there is no waxy discharge at the nail bed (where we'd want to clean the nail bed with dilute OTC chlorohexidine with that), we'd just monitor this but again it doesn't tend to cause bother to them either.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Ok also She seems to keep her toes clinched together is that normal as well. Her other toes are spread apart. One more thing. My granddaughter says she is grinding her teeth a bit. Is that just what guineas do
Also would it be good to soak the foot in a little Epson salt bah?

Hi again,

If she is holding them together, it would fit with general foot discomfort from urine scald. So, you could certainly soak her food if she will allow. Otherwise, do keep and eye if she is grinding her teeth. That tends to be a pain sign in cavies or can be associated with overgrowth of their teeth. What we are seeing in the photos is more subtle then what we'd expect with teeth grinding. Therefore, we'd want them to monitor her eating (if she starts avoiding hard foods) and walking (in case this is causing her lameness) to just make sure we don't have something more afoot.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Thank you. Appreciate the help. My granddaughter says the keep it very clean but ?? I will help her keep an eye on it. Thanks again

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Have a lovely weekend,

Dr. B.

Thank you

:)

Dr. B.

Me again. Well now my granddaughter is saying she is whimpering and she drags her foot when she walks ??? What do you think could it be broken

Hi again,

Oh dear! I actually would question whether the foot is involved at all if she is dragging it (fractures in the feet usually give us obvious swelling). Instead, we may need her to feel up the leg up to the hip and flex/extend the joints. We could have a fracture but also possible hip dislocation, pinched nerve, or muscle strain. And those could be sore enough to explain that teeth grinding. So, have her have a good feel for fractures (instability in the bone) and swelling but if her wee one is that sore and dragging her leg, its best to have her see for cavy safe pain relief (ie Metacam).

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Is there anywhere to buy the pain meds. I don't think they are able to take her to a vet. Could she maybe wrap the leg to keep it more stable ??

Hi again,

Unfortunately, we don't have any safe OTC options we can use with this species. They just have too different a metabolism to humans to use our own pain relief without risk of causing harm. So, if the leg isn't stable, they can try wrapping it. Otherwise, if costs are a concern for them, then I'd note there are some options we may be able to use here. First, if they have a VCA or Banfield veterinary hospital near you, then they can use their free first consult offers. You can find vouchers for this via VCA: (http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer) & Banfield : (http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon). Otherwise, they could consider checking out the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html). They have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations that can keep down costs and surely will be willing to help.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Ok thank you again

You are very welcome. :)

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian