Rebecca, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have more than 30 years of veterinary practice experience.
11877925

My cat just ate one of my vitamin D3 pills. She's just under

My cat just ate one of my vitamin D3 pills. She's just under 8 lbs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Hannah It's 5000 iu
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hannah?
Customer: No. She's otherwise healthy

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry Hannah got your pill. Let me do some research to be sure, but she should be OK. How long ago did she get it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
About 10 minutes ago
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well?

How much does she weigh? She got 1.25 mg of vitamin D (there are 4000 IU per mg, so 5000 IU is 1.25 mg). We start to worry if a cat gets over .1 mg per kg. If she is an 11 pound cat, she got .25 mg per kg.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She weighs 7.8 lbs
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Actually, she just weighed in at 9.

It might be best to get her to vomit, but that can be difficult in cats. Hydrogen peroxide is not safe to use in cats; it can burn the lining of the stomach.

The problem with vitamin D is raising her blood calcium levels too high. You can monitor her, and take her to your veterinarian on Moday to check her calcium levels, or take her today to try to get her to vomit the capsule.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can she wait until Monday? How serious is d3 toxicity in cats? I know this kind of D3 is also used in rat poison.

At 9 pounds, she got .3 mg per kg, and we worry at .1 mg per kg. Continuing to do research.

reading up with some veterinary toxicologists. At this dose, she should probably not wait, she should see a veterinarian today.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, thank you

To be safe, she should be started on IV fluids, and monitor her kidney values and calcium and phosphorus levels. If you can get there and they can get her to vomit, that would be best.

You are welcome; please let me know how she is doing.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?