petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

Both my cats eat Natural Balance Fat Cat. They both shed

Both my cats eat Natural Balance Fat Cat. They both shed excessively and the male has bad dandruff. Is there a a better non prescription food to help their coats?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Sam is 11 and Lola is 10
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sam?
Customer: He is 19 pounds in very good health except for dandruff
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sam is 19 pounds and Lola is 15 pounds. They are both in excellent health except for their coats.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and your cats, Sam and Lola, today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

Shedding and dandruff are not usually signs of inadequate nutrition. Have they been examined by your veterinarian for these dermatologic issues?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My vet says they're healthy. He recommended Hill's d/d. I tried it and they don't seem to like it, plus its a little too pricey for me.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If a new food wouldn't help is there something that would?

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Hills d/d would only help if there symptoms were due to food allergies and those are not the typical symptoms seen with derm reactions to food.

If there is dandruff, I would have your vet perform a skin cytology to see if there is an overgrowth of bacteria or yeast on the skin. This is a simple test where some of the surface cells are collected and evaluated under a microscope. Another thing to rule out would be mange mites which can live on the skin surface or in the hair follicles and can lead to symptoms as you describe. These cannot be seen with the naked eye and a skin scraping needs to be done to rule those out.

Without knowing the cause of their skin disorder, it is hard to say exactly what the best treatment would be, but it may be very helpful to add omega 3 fatty acids to their diet by supplementing. There are various brands available but something like this is usually helpful. LINK HERE

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Thank you kindly for the positive rating. It is truly appreciated.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz