Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal veterinary medicine
14018973

I have a 12 year old bichon that my vet just diagnosed with

Good evening! I have a 12 year old bichon that my vet just diagnosed with cancer on his front leg. She told meveryone that it was not the "mast" type of cancer - it is a large bulge that showed uo. She told me to go to an oncologist, but before I go, just curious of options. He's 12, so I don't want to remove his leg, which is what she suggested. How long do dogs typically live after diagnosis, and if I already know I'm not going to put my dogirlfriend through the radiation or leg removal - is it worth going to need oncologist?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There is not. It does not seem to bother him at all
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about He 's?
Customer: No, other than that he is completely healthy. All the blood work came back good.

Hi. My name is***** Do you know how this cancer was diagnosed? Did they place a needle in it and make a slide of the cells to see what that showed? Do you know the specific cancer that was identified? I'll be very honest and say that a consultation with an oncologist in situations where cancer is diagnosed is always a good first step. It can help owners to get access to the very latest treatment options and prognosis with the various options. Honestly, these things are very dynamic with oncology as that field of veterinary medicine is always evolving as more protocols are tested and evaluated as to their results.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She did take a sample of the mass in his leg with a needle and looked under a microscope. She said there were 2 main types of cancer and his want the mast type.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry, his was not the mast type.

To give more specific of an answer as to how long do they live after a diagnosis, that is something that I can't do. Knowing the specific type is needed to give more of an estimate for this. I can fully understand not wanting to go through with radical surgery or radiation, but they can give possible options with oral chemotherapy agents and / or a local surgery to debulk the main tumor.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Alright, thank you! That's what I needed to know.

Getting that visit / consultation with the oncologist will give you all the options that you have. They aren't going to force anything on you. They just want you to know what options there are for your guy.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That's comforting. I'll make the appointment first thing in the morning.

It will give you peace of mind to know that you've taken that step to be able to weigh and evaluate all the options for him. I'm hoping for the best!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you!

No problem!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?