Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog swallowed some Benadryl. Cubby. 5 and 1/2 years. 19

My dog swallowed some Benadryl.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cubby. 5 and 1/2 years. 19 pounds. Mix of dachshund and Jack Russle.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cubby?
Customer: We gave him 10 ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

How many milligrams were ingested, please? A dog of Cubby's weight might be administered up to 40 mg safely.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
From 1-3 tablets of 25 miligram on top of his prescribed 1capsul. Also one thyroxine .3 milligrams.

Thank you. That's not a significant overdose but can cause excessive sedation or, paradoxically, agitation. Has the peroxide worked its magic? If not, I wouldn't induce emesis again as Cubby will remain safe.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Peroxide has not worked. As I understand you said not to give him more peroxide.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Cubby takes 25 milligrams of benedryl twice a day. He grabbed food from another dog's bowl and got at least one of that dog's 3 25 miligram benedril pills and a .3 thyroxine pill. Just making sure I was clear.

I understand. The most he could have ingested is 100 mg of Benadryl. Excessive sedation, paradoxical agitation (rare), increased heart rate (rare), vomiting and diarrhea, lethargy, dry mouth, and urinary retention might be seen. The thyroxin is insignificant. Correct, I wouldn't give any more peroxide. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Cubby finally threw up and is doing fine. Thanks much for your help!

Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.