Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

I just noticed a small lump on Louie's (my English labrador,

I just noticed a small...
I just noticed a small lump on Louie's (my English labrador, age 2 years and three months) neck. He has a small lump on the side of his neck the size of a garbanzo bean. It is in the same place in which he had been mercilessly scratching a wound, ( caused by his prong collar, injuring his neck as he uncontrollably lunged towards any cat on our path, whenever we walked). The wounds from the prongs have almost completely healed and the hair has grown back, since I've been using a formula found online with extremely high ratings called Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiseptic and Antifungal spray for dogs and cats. Louie has had skin allergies in the past and his vet has treated him ones with steroids such as prednisone, which we immediately stopped due to his extremely lethargic reaction to it. I am worried about the lump but also concerned about invasive procedures or medicines that could cause further harm. I have a veterinary clinic I go to whenever necessary however it is my opinion that they tend to overreact., bringing out the big guns ( so to speak ) when a condition might be treated more gently with less harmful remedies. I am worried about this lump, but wonder if it's nothing. Maybe that lump is scar tissue from Louie's overzealous neck scratching.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Veterinary?
Customer: What is my question received?
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/29/2017
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about Louie. I'm so sorry you are having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.In the meantime, in order to help me help you better, I'll need some more information. To start with, can you please tell me:

• Any other lumps anywhere on his body?
  • Are you able to upload a photo?
  • Are you 100% certain it's in exactly the same spot as one of the wounds?

I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply. Thank you.

I haven't found any lumps on the rest of his body and usually I'm always massaging him almost everywhere. It's very hard to see the lump because the hair has grown over it but let me see if I can possibly get a picture.

Thank you for the quick reply. If you manage to get a photo, you can use the paperclip icon to upload it.

In the meantime, I'll type in some information for you.

On the one hand, yes, it's entirely possible this lump is nothing more than scar tissue. Most deep wounds leave a firm thickness within the skin as they heal.

That means it's reasonable to be suspicious that's what's going on here.

That being said, it's important to clarify that we medical professionals can NEVER tell for certain what a lump is without some type of biopsy. Without a biopsy, you can be fooled. Without a biopsy, it's just a guess.

If this is scar tissue, it should NOT get larger. The only change it should show would be to grow smaller or maybe even disappear/ If it's a tumor, it's going to grow and change.

(typing more)

OK how do I upload I don't see a paperclip icon

At a clinic where they tend to aggressively pursue diagnostic testing in order to get the most information possible about a situation (it sounds like your vet does things this way), you can expect them to recommend removal of this lump and histopathology (sending the tissue to a pathologist to get a diagnosis of precisely what it is).

As I indicated above, that's the only way to know for sure what this lump is.

If you're not inclined to be that aggressive, then you have the option to wait and see if the lump goes away, or grows and changes.

On the one hand, the odds of this being a malignancy or tumor are not large; your dog is young and this lump is in the location of previous injury. Tumors are rare under these circumstances.

But, on the other hand, there are some types of skin tumors that can appear like this in a younger dog that can cause serious problems. Mast cell tumor comes to mind. If this actually is a mast cell tumor, you'll wish you would have taken action sooner.

Just got your question about uploading...

I know I have a paperclip icon on my side of this exchange for uploading; I assumed you do too.

While I'm here to help with veterinary questions, I'm afraid I'm not able to provide technical support for how the website works on your end. If you don't see any type of icon for uploading files, please click to contact customer support for help with that. The website has great support people to help with that kind of thing.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Anyway it is difficult to see through all his thick hair. However I can vaguely see a small amount of scab on the surface of the skin.
Phone call session started

Calling now...

Thank you.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian