Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog may or may not have eaten rat poison. We are really

Customer Question

My dog may or may not have eaten rat poison. We are really not sure and don't know what to do next
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your dog ate?
Customer: No my husband put it around our hay in the barn and as we were feeding the horses they eat poop etc. We thought a cake that was there is now not. Truly unsure
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: No she is 7 And very healthy. Besides loving horse poop.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please answer the following :

1. How long ago may this have happened { How many minutes or hours ago } ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
15minutes
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello?

stand by please, just typing out your answer

Hello again,

I have very quickly worked out an answer for you below ...

1. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover any rat poison swallowed that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

2. However if you fail to induce vomiting within one hour after ingestion then you should take your dog to a local vet without delay as there is an effective antidote available for many sorts of rat poison and other measures which can be taken.

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks I will go to my vet.

Good decision, please let me know how thing go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the rat poison ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sadie so far is ok. We took her to our emergency vet and her vomit was inconclusive. So we are going to give her vitamin k if we see any signs. So far so good. Thanks for your concern.

That all sounds fine.

Thanks for the update ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?