Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog is a 3 yo Bichon frise. he is acting normal. He threw

Customer Question

Hi my dog is a 3 yo Bichon frise. he is acting normal. He threw up bile on sat day and then sun am
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Drinking and eating normally
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: He ate a little piece of my daughters platic spoon but it was tiny tiny Has been peeing and pooping And eating My concern is about a 1/2 hour ago he threw up undigested food
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: But barking for more food
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks. He just pooped and was normal.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
His name is mylo

Thanks for the additional information, just typing out your answer now ...

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He throws up bile from time to time which I expect but the undigested food was odd for him. He can't eat chicken and rice or beef and rice bc it doesn't agree.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If he throws up again I plan on taking him to the vet just not sure what to do about food. He is keeping food down bc he didn't throw up all day until now.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Barking at his bowl for food
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This was what the undigested food looked like

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Episodes of vomiting are very common in the dog and most cases are very minor, in your case it is very encouraging that Mylo is still very bright and happy so you may want to try some simple home remedy measures for now and then consult your local vet if things do not resolve and the problem continues. These sorts of home remedies can often work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug of some sort. Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepcid to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food or given orally can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance, the amount you give depends on the size of the dog, one teaspoon twice a day is fine for toy breeds ranging up to two tablespoons twice a day for larger dogs.

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Mylo's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks. I want to withhold food but he is barking at his bowl. If he ate something he ate something that obstructed wouldn't want to eat or wouldn't be pooping right?

Well Mylo not going to like it but in these situations it is always a good idea to withhold food for a time, you are right, the fact he is bright, alert and wanting his food would normally mean this is not a serious situation. But please get back to me is anything changes ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Mylo is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his gastroenteritis problem ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank you! he is doing much better. I appreciate you checking in!

So glad to hear he is improving, thanks for the update ...

Dr Scott

Hi Brooke,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?