Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My Cairn terrier just ate one red grape dropped on the

Customer Question

My Cairn terrier just ate one red grape dropped on the floor. I'm concerned about poisoning. Need to know what to do.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your cairn terrier ate?
Customer: He picked something up from the floor. I tried to get away from him but he wouldn't let me have it. My husband had just emptied a bag of grapes outside in the trash.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cairn terrier?
Customer: He's 3 years old and in great condition. But he loves to eat. We try to be very careful with him, so he doesn't eat grapes.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Grapes are toxic to dogs but it depends on the amount consumed; 1 grape is not going to be toxic or life threatening to your dog.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is it advisable to have a tonic to counteract poisonous foods? This is the 1st time he's eaten a grape?

In cases of ingestion of poisonous food you can induce vomiting by giving hydrogen peroxide 3% 1 teaspoon per 10 lbs body weight; can be given 2-3 times 5-10 minutes apart. Max total dose is 50 mls.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter