How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Peter Your Own Question
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Category: Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 31049
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683
Type Your Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Peter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Cairn terrier just ate one red grape dropped on the

Customer Question

My Cairn terrier just ate one red grape dropped on the floor. I'm concerned about poisoning. Need to know what to do.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your cairn terrier ate?
Customer: He picked something up from the floor. I tried to get away from him but he wouldn't let me have it. My husband had just emptied a bag of grapes outside in the trash.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cairn terrier?
Customer: He's 3 years old and in great condition. But he loves to eat. We try to be very careful with him, so he doesn't eat grapes.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.

Grapes are toxic to dogs but it depends on the amount consumed; 1 grape is not going to be toxic or life threatening to your dog.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is it advisable to have a tonic to counteract poisonous foods? This is the 1st time he's eaten a grape?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.

In cases of ingestion of poisonous food you can induce vomiting by giving hydrogen peroxide 3% 1 teaspoon per 10 lbs body weight; can be given 2-3 times 5-10 minutes apart. Max total dose is 50 mls.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter