Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog just had knee surgery on thursday. She is licking the

Customer Question

My dog just had knee surgery on thursday. She is licking the wound. We purchased some bitter apple. Can we apply directly on the wound?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is just bleeding a lot?
Customer: No, just irritated.
JA: Phew. How old is just?
Customer: 9
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about just?
Customer: We tried the neck collar and she just removes.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that your dog is licking her incision site.

Bitter Apple doesn't deter all dogs from licking, unfortunately, but it may be worth a try. I wouldn't apply it directly to the incision site but around the incision. It's not going to be a problem is some happens to get on the sutures, but I'd try to avoid it if you can.

If your dog is somehow managing to remove the cone or neck collar, then it may be too large for her and either needs to be readjusted or a smaller one purchased. Many if not al pet stores will carry these products if you wanted to find another one with a better fit.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 8 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb