Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Suzie has been having a lot of wax and build up in her right

Customer Question

Suzie has been having a lot of wax and build up in her right ear. We have a prescription for my husband who also has ear wax problem. It is neomycin and polvmvxin b sulfates can we use this for Suzie
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: She is a 30 lb mixed breed
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: She is a 30 lb mixed breed dog.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Suzie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Suzie?
Customer: She suffers from exema
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Suzie has this problem, hopefully this is very minor, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Products like this containing these sorts of antibiotics are often used to treat bacterial infections in the ear canal of dogs so the chances are it will cause no harm if you were to give it a try, say by instilling it into your dog's ear canal twice a day for five days or so.

2. However be aware that there are other causes of ear disease in dogs which can present like this such as ear mites or fungal infections as well as foreign objects lodged in the ear canal, and antibiotic ear drops are not going to be effective in such cases. Also in a small number of cases your dog's ear canal may be ruptured in which case it would be contraindicated to put liquid sin to the ear canal.

3. If you try your drops and the condition does not resolve then it would be best to have your vet take a look. Your vet will examine your dog's ear with an otoscope including the depths of the ear canal and then suggest a suitable treatment or further diagnostic tests.

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Suzie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Suzie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the ear infection issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?