Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My 5 year old Westie has suddenly started seemingly trying

Customer Question

My 5 year old Westie has suddenly started seemingly trying to wipe his muzzle off on the rug ore anything he can find and at the same time will bite on his back paw. I gave him his Triflexis pill last evening and he had no reaction to it at that time but today he seems very restless and wants to move from the rug to the tile floor. His anal glands are empty and he has never shown any indication of an allergy. What is going on with him?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A 5 year old West Highland White Terrier
JA: OK. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the West Highland white terrier's name?
Customer: Higgins
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Higgins?
Customer: He is up to date on all his shots and has never had any problems.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

This sounds like an allergic reaction.

Rubbing the face on the floor is commonly due to facial itching or the ears itching.

It could be due to dental pain as well. Take a look around his mouth for redness, odor, swelling, or foreign objects stuck in there.

But since he is biting his paw as well, and he is restless, it is also sounding like an allergic reaction.