Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

He is a 14 lb yorkie. He just ate 1/2 of a smaller reeses

Customer Question
peanut butter cup that came...
He is a 14 lb yorkie. He just ate 1/2 of a smaller reeses peanut butter cup that came out of freezer while I was looking for something. HELP!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: 14 lb.Yorkie - dog
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Finn
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Finn?
Customer: 3 yrs. old- In good health
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Veterinary
1/7/2017
Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that Finn has eaten some chocolate.
Although chocolate can be toxic for dogs the good news is that they need to eat a certain amount to cause symptoms. At 14 pounds Xena would need to eat 2 ounces of pure milk chocolate to show any symptoms. One half of a small Reese's peanut butter cup isn't nearly even one ounce of chocolate, so I don't believe that he ate enough for you to see chocolate toxicity symptoms.

The concern though is peanut butter and chocolate are rich, high fat and sugar foods which can be tough on a pup's gastrointestinal tract.

If he seems to have an upset stomach to try and settle Finn's stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of ¼ of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and should help him feel less nauseous. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.

Then you can feed him a bland diet for the next couple of days. A homemade bland diet is a mix of 1/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken or lean boiled hamburger and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. Feed small meals frequently for a few days then slowly reintroduce his regular food, mixing more regular and less bland in over several days.

But he may not have any trouble at all given the small amount eaten, and if he seems perfectly fine there is no need for any sort of treatment.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you so much!

You are very welcome, Happy New Year!

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian