Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

What is the best antibiotics to treat plyometric infection

Customer Question

What is the best antibiotics to treat plyometric infection in the uterus
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Female 14 years old mixed breed weighs 10 pounds
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes
JA: There are all sorts of infestations the animal can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the's name?
Customer: This in a non spayed female with a uterus infection
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the animal?
Customer: She had a normal menstrual period last week and it was followed by excessive bleeding
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now your question is actually a trick one. The reason is because the best antibiotic is the one that has been found to be most effective on the bacteria during culture/sensitivity testing (where we take a sample of the discharge and the lab analyses it). Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** line choices we tend to use broad spectrum antibiotics that those common uterine pathogenic bacterial agents (E.coli being the most common to cause pyometra) are sensitive to. In that case, Amoxicillin with Clavulanate tends to be the first line antibiotic of choice in these cases. Of course, do note that if she is only passing more blood not pus/odorous material then there is a risk that this is not an infection and could be a problem with a cystic or cancerous ovary or a mass within the uterus. Therefore, one could treat with this antibiotic but if there wasn't improvement in a day or two, then we'd want to scan the uterus to ensure there was nothing more worrisome amiss.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )