Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog is almost 5, weigh about 8 lbs and is up to date with

Customer Question

My dog is almost 5, weigh about 8 lbs and is up to date with all her shots she has diarrhea and has vomited a couple of times. She will not eat but does drink water at times. This has been going on for the past 3 days. Her vet told me to try Pepcid but does not work. Is this a emer? There is nothing open where I live. Tomorrow is a holiday. My
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: She had a little roast pork 5 days ago
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Chloe
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chloe?
Customer: No
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she has these signs?

What does her vomit and diarrhea look like?

Can she anything down?

What dose of Pepcid did you give?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The only thing possible was a plastic white bone that she was chewing on but I threw it away the day after she started getting sick.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you,

Now if she has not responded to the Pepcid, we need to tread with care. Especially if any of that plastic bone could have been ingested (a blockage risk). Else we'd have to be wary that her signs are due to a severe bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis (which fatty pork could trigger), parasites/protozoa infections, or general dietary indiscretions.

Now in regards ***** ***** question, if this has been ongoing for a few days and she is getting dehydrated, then this will be an urgent situation. And we are better to have her seen now to nip this in the bud before she ends up needing to be hospitalized for fluids. Otherwise, since the Pepcid didn't work, I'd note that you could try her with Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find the nausea just too severe to keep these down, then that is our sign that we need the local vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

If she can keep that down, then we can start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer these meals, give her 30 minutes after to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Canned pumpkin can be added to this to firm her stools and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Foritflora) can also be used to support her gut. As well, if she is very runny, then we can use

OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the probiotics in them too.

Since dehydration is a risk with Chloe's signs at this stage, we need to keep a close eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure she’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you do find these dehydration signs, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing but I am concerned that she could be getting dehydrated now. So, we'd need to tread with care. We can now try the above with her but if she isn't settling or dehydrated already, then we'd want her seen. That way we can make sure there is no blockage and get her onto injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids, +/- antibiotics to get her back feeling like herself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
4 days now
Vomit just a couple of times
Diarrhea is sometimes clear and then it's brownish and runny
Pepcid - 1/4 of tablet
A plastic bone -which I threw away after she started getting sick
Her belly seems ok
She will eat a treat and some cooked chicken 2 days ago
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hi again,

Now I did post my thoughts above and will repost what I said before as it still is our ideal plan of action. Though I am glad to hear that her vomiting was only a few times and hopefully with that her gums are normal.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.